Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Signs of depression

Another doctor's appointment, another trip to Newcastle.

It's never a good reason for a journey and just quietly the scenery isn't pretty once you get into town.
Don't get me wrong, Newcastle has some beautiful pockets and I should make the effort to photograph them for another post, but the section of town we pass through (Hunter Street) is a depressed main thoroughfare with a lot of boarded-up premises punctuated by the occasional flash of faded glamour, like the Theatre Royal, which is for sale, in case you're interested:


Perhaps even more than the closed businesses, I get depressed by the ones that are still, somehow, managing to survive. Sometimes I just don't see how it's possible, given their downtrodden appearance.
Unless, of course, they're deliberately going for pity-trade...

Personally, I was tempted to order a made-to-measure anything just to give the poor person working here something to do:


Happily, creative vandals can supply comic relief.
Call me childish, but this cheered me up no end:

No comments:

Post a Comment