Thursday, April 29, 2010

Insert Monae headline pun here

I reckon there'll be plenty of those this year.
Although I only recently heard about Janelle Monae through Joe.My.God, after a good chunk of this afternoon watching her videos on YouTube, I realise she has been busy being sensational for years.


I haven't been truly excited by music for a while. I figured it was age (I have rediscovered Icehouse, which was a pleasant surprise) but Beyoncé and Lady Gaga have been the only two who've really raised my interest (by the way, where the hell have all the great black male singers gone – the ones who don't need or want AutoTune?).

But who cares, because now this amazing woman comes along and she's electric to watch and listen to – rare when you think about it. She's this miraculous combination of James Brown, Michael Jackson, Etta James, Missy Elliott, Prince, André 3000... Everything good about soul and R&B and jazz.
She has the look, the voice and the moves. And she's tiny.
Like Kylie tiny.

I'm buying her new CD as soon as I can:


I haven't bought a CD in yonks.

Disclaimer: This blog is in no way officially affiliated with Ms Monae. If only.

No comments:

Post a Comment