Friday, November 4, 2011

Not entirely white-bread

I have to say, Maitland and the region in general is overwhelmingly Anglo, quite a departure from inner-Sydney.

I hardly ever see an Aboriginal face, there is only the occasional Asian or vaguely European-looking appearance, and then there's the little UIR Patisserie at Pender Place, staffed by some absolutely lovely Peruvian women. I've never seen them not look happy to be there.
(I don't think it's a coincidence that they do much better business than the two chain bakeries in the same mall.)

Seriously, I grew up in Engadine, in the Sutherland Shire – white-dude surfer central – and that looked like a Benetton ad compared to here.

So, it's both surprising and heartening to pass this each day:


It's a veritable empire.

No comments:

Post a Comment