Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Who made Steve Guttenberg a star?

I'm sorry, but ever since that Simpsons' Stonecutters episode I can't take the Masons seriously.
Not that I ever really did. Far too many overblown outfits and rituals for my liking. And does the handshake involve a little palm-tickle (I really hope so)?

Whatever, I must say, their local Masonic headquarters (just around the corner from the Metropolitan Hotel) are seriously, fabulously, jaw-droppingly camp:


The compass! The pentagram over the side-gate!!
Notice how I didn't get out of Mick's car...
I was a little scared.

What if they track me down and make me go through some sort of initiation rite?

By the way, how on earth would you describe this, architecturally?
Islamic Rococo? Greek Orthodox after a secret liaison with Moroccan queen?

In any case, a fine and underrated example of Maitland's allure.

No comments:

Post a Comment