Saturday, May 1, 2010

Button abuse

Gambling – excuse me, gaming – is a vice I've somehow managed to avoid. Having a father who worked in the betting industry perhaps has something to do with this.

Still, I'm dazzled by the cheap allure of the pokie room:


The low-rent Las Vegas vibe has been given a speakeasy edge since pubs were forced to hide them from view of outside foot traffic or general pub patrons. Now you have to sneak into them.
It makes you feel dumb and dirty.

Most of all, I like the visuals. It's a new generation's version of spray-painted panel-van art.
Same, but different:




All so aspirational!

I have noticed, however, a darker trend emerging.
Dead people no longer need legend. In fact, skeletal is preferable:


My pic of Skullmagic didn't quite work because we were being shooed out of the venue as it was after closing time...


... but you can see my concern.

No comments:

Post a Comment