Sunday, March 14, 2010

Heathers, still very

Down our end of town there are a few antique stores, mostly geared towards those to whom "antique" is a verb – i.e. they're expensive.
Then there's Father Riley's Op Shop. It has a fair amount of junk, some okay furniture, clothing, piles of the usual bric-a-brackery. It is also a fantastic (and seemingly endless) source of old VHS tapes.
For 20c each.
Sure, the quality isn't always fantastic, but twenty cents!

So far I've picked up The Creature From the Black Lagoon, The Thing, Roman Holiday, Rear Window and Bette Davis in The Nanny.
The other week I found and immediately snatched up (with what might have been a muffled squeal of delight) a movie I haven't seen (or found anywhere) in years: Heathers.


Having seen her in Beetlejuice I loved Winona Ryder and after watching this when it came out I was convinced she was without doubt the coolest thing in Hollywood. Must have been that deadpan alienation thing she worked along with the doe-eyed beauty.
Pale and fascinating.
More than 20 years later (frightening) I still think it's fantastic and she's great in it. I was also glad to find Christian Slater's Jack Nicholson impersonation not nearly as irritating this time around and even Shannen Doherty, of all people, comes out of it well. (I'd totally forgotten she was even in it.)


As you can see, the wardrobe's dated but all that dialogue – the "fuck me gently with a chainsaw" et al – and the black comic premise feels fresh, even when the references aren't ("Swatchdogs and Diet Cokeheads" made me laugh again).
I've read many rumours over the years about a potential sequel. Part of me would love to see Winona as Veronica Sawyer again but somehow I think it would be a disaster. That creepy plastic sheen Christian Slater has these days wouldn't help.

No comments:

Post a Comment