Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Critters of The Bend #3

Pity the poor little Bronze Orange Bug nymph.
Not only does its scientific name, Musgraveia Sulciventris, sound like the evil headmistress of an all-girls' school, it's commonly known as the stink bug.
After some Googling I discovered the ones that had been all over our citrus tree were 4th instar nymphs. Instar is a developmental stage and, as it so happens, it's their most attractive:



Still, they're dirty little sapsuckers and I should have destroyed them rather than take their portraits. By all accounts they squirt an "evil-smelling" chemical at perceived attackers. I never had any problem.
Indeed, the two below seemed oblivious to my presence. I just wonder – were they gossiping about the other bugs or having sex?

No comments:

Post a Comment