Sunday, March 4, 2012

Not my type (heh)

So the Fall 2012 collections are almost over. As always, I've been checking Style.com for regular updates; part of me still misses working in the biz. (Handy hint: Trying to work out how to pattern-make a frock in bed is ten times more effective than counting bloody sheep.)

Anyway, I've been watching the emergence of digital printing with interest, specifically engineered placement prints. It can be very impressive, in a what-the-hell kind of way, but the capacity to render anything in hyper-reality can lead to dubious aesthetic decisions.

This season, two designers chose to include a bizarre subject, one I associate not with high style, but rather fatigue, anxiety and creative block:
The typewriter/computer keyboard.
Is it Social Network sartorial backwash? I don't (won't) buy it.

From Mary Katrantzou, pioneer of this new breed of printers:


And two interpretations by Jeremy Scott, mad queen:



Now if they made a T-shirt with just one big 'delete' button...

No comments:

Post a Comment