Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Fashion foe pas

Mick has an extensive collection of his old rugby league jerseys.
Last week I discovered a new one, my favourite, from the West Tamworth Robins (notice the Datsun ad):


I tried it on, it fit, so I decided to keep it on for our trip to the Metro, imagining it lent me an air of, if not physical prowess, then at least the vague intention of exercising at some point in the near future.

Mick just looked at me and said, "You're not wearing that, are you?"

"Why not?"

"Everyone will think you're a Manly supporter."

He has a point; this is the classic Manly Sea Eagles jersey:



Supporting Manly, evidently, is akin to heresy. They have been considered "silvertails" for years and are almost universally loathed for whatever reason, especially up here.
It doesn't help that they just won the Grand Final.

It's all so stupid, but as soon as Mick said, "I wouldn't wear it to the pub," I got changed immediately.

This is a man whom I've witnessed felling someone with a single punch.
If he's not willing to take such a fashion risk, I'm hardly going to push my luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment