Saturday, October 29, 2011

Elmo's a total spunk

As a disability pensioner (I prefer 'man of leisure' myself), I can often be found in front of the television in the middle of the day.

This is primarily to watch Ellen DeGeneres. I've loved her since I first saw her do stand-up in the '80s and frankly she's the best antidote to a filthy mood I can think of.

Then there's The View, which I either thoroughly enjoy or render mute, depending on the guest or subject matter.
The mere sound of those women talking over each other sends Mick out the room.

Anyway, they recently had on the puppeteer who operates and voices Elmo – one of the cutest, smartest creations to come out of Sesame Street, which says a lot. Few puppets can commandeer any talk show without getting a bit creepy (I do miss Lamb Chop).

I was amazed and slightly guilty with attraction when I saw the hot black dude walk on set:


The disconnect couldn't be greater. His name is Kevin Clash, he's 51 and he's been doing Elmo for over a quarter of a century.

Let that sink in and feel old, just a little.


A documentary, Being Elmo, is coming out somewhere soon. Most likely not here.

No comments:

Post a Comment