Friday, July 23, 2010

Local attractions

I can't believe almost a week has passed since I last posted.

I didn't hear anything from my radiologist about the PET scan, which I'm taking as good news.
On the other hand, a trip to the dentist was fruitless (long story).
But at least the sights on the way there are worth sharing.

First, there's Ossie the Mossie, the mascot of the Hexham Bowling Club (fitting; the area is basically a swamp):


And I noticed that the only gay bar in Newcastle, the Gateway Hotel, is seriously a full-service establishment these days (or simply desperate for business):



Shame they can't spell 'occasion'...

For those in need of a musical flashback, local vineyards are increasingly hosting concerts by superannuated acts. Tom Jones appears regularly, Whitney Houston had a meltdown up here in February and Simply Red are having their Farewell Tour (I thought we all said goodbye ages ago) in October.
Meanwhile, this looks like a soft-rock wet dream:


On Tuesday afternoon our mate Peter arrived from Sydney for a visit, so we hit the Metropolitan for a few beers, where I was silently thrilled to discover I can watch Antiques Roadshow, should I have the urge:


The next day, we drove to Mayfield to check out Coliseum Antiques. Mick and I had popped in there and noticed a fab old Pye television – one of those irresistibly useless purchases.
In the end he didn't buy it but it was worth a browse; the place has a lot of great stuff and the wall of radios is very impressive:


It also has a cute little cafe attached, but I think I'll wait for Australia's Largest KFC! – coming soon just a block away:


They should add that to their Welcome to Mayfield sign...

No comments:

Post a Comment