Friday, July 16, 2010

Development hell

Got back last night from Sydney. After a few days, I'd had enough.

It didn't help that I was staying at my parents' place in deepest Paddington, where any trip out of the house necessitates an exhausting uphill trek. It also seems the area has well and truly been taken over by gourmet pretension; the little corner store now sells Wolfgang Puck soup.

I couldn't bear it any longer.

I spent yesterday morning at St Vincent's getting my PET scan, after which I got a sense of the transformation of my old neighbourhood (largely due to Vinnies itself):



As it's slowly engulfed by the hospital's many offshoots, the Green Park Hotel has never looked more forlorn:


And where the former mental health patients of Caritas have been taken, I have no idea, but at least they're making way for some faaaaabulous new apartments ("designer", no less, sold with the promise of "Manhattan-style views" I'm sure):


Suffice it to say, I'm very happy to be home. I really don't feel like I belong in Sydney any more; I found myself itching to get out of there and I spent a small fortune on nothing, it seems.

Also, Oxford Street is dire and it was only going to get worse this weekend – Leather Pride's Inquisition party is on, which means hordes of bug-eyed men (clearly old enough to know better) wearing this season's harnesses. I could really do without witnessing that again.

When it comes to couples in matching outfits, I'll stick with Wiz and Tuppence:


No comments:

Post a Comment