Friday, February 26, 2010

Gather no moth

There are crawly things up here I have never seen before.
These caterpillars, for instance, are beautiful. Nevertheless, I got the distinct impression they would suddenly leap at my face or spit some sort of deadly loogie at me if I got too close:



We also get preying mantises (manti?), which are my favourite. There's something so poised and elegant about them, googly eyes notwithstanding. This one stood sentry on our front porch for a good hour. Sadly it hasn't returned:


It's all quite fabulous but what I could live without is walking in the backyard and finding myself enmeshed in spider web. They're all over the place. I've learnt to keep an eye out for them, which is why I've noticed the number of trapped bugs, hanging like morbid little decorations.


One moth in particular caught my eye - it was flapping madly, trying to extricate itself. When I got close with my camera it froze and seemed to stare at me, as if it were saying, 'What the fuck are you waiting for? Get me off this thing!'


So I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment