Thursday, February 25, 2010

Chicken run

Our yard isn't big enough to have chickens, but several neighbours keep them. Although roosters aren't allowed in residential areas, there's one somewhere nearby that crows exclusively in the afternoon, at different times. Very strange.
Anyway, Tuesday's excitement was provided by chooks that escaped the yard across the street.


After a near miss with a car, a friendly lesbian neighbour and I attempted to round them up, a futile endeavour. Not only are they deceptively fast, they have an infuriating habit of scattering in opposite directions at any sign of approach.


It was the first time I'd properly met this neighbour – she and her girlfriend moved in after we did – but she's about the seventh dyke I've met so far up here. Go figure. I told her I loved the fact we had chickens on the loose, it was such a change from city life.
She replied she was from the Northern Territory – she'd seen men walk camels into bars.
I really had nothing to say to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment