Monday, November 1, 2010

Miscellany, cont'd

I'd call this a Week in Review but a few of these photos are a bit older than that.

It begins at the Maitland Repertory Playhouse opposite the Metro, where they're rehearsing a new musical. A bit of Googling finds that it's All For Your Delight by Roger Parsely, a "light-hearted and melodramatic" affair set in a turn-of-the-century London music hall.

I didn't linger long (I don't want people talking) but it was a little bit of Glee come to life:


On a slightly lower, but no less exciting, plane, I found Flash Gordon on video – for $1!
The last time I saw it was when it came out in 1980 (the wood beast scene gave me nightmares) and I thoroughly enjoyed it again, although now the pleasure is largely measured in camp value.

For instance, I do not remember this scene from the first viewing:


And the magnificence of Ming the Merciless' eyebrows completely passed me by:


As for Brian Blessed as Vultan here, as a child I was impressed by his ability to fly, not by how well he filled out his leather hotpants-and-breastplate ensemble (not shown here, sorry):


On the weekend, Mick and I hit a couple of garage sales. This meant a drive across the highway to South Maitland, where there's a big park containing showgrounds and a swimming pool but not much else.
One of the sales was doubling as a breast-cancer fundraiser:


Mick ended up getting a few things we didn't really need for the house (he can't help himself) and I bought some cakey treats from the Country Women's Association stall.
(Note: Always buy something from the CWA; it'll be the best Anzac biscuit/chocolate brownie/coconut slice you've ever had.)

South Maitland, which we rarely visit, is even horsier than the Bend.
This isn't an uncommon sight:


It's a bit rundown as well, but endearingly so.
I mean, who knew there was a Saint Ethel?
And where's her PR team trying to rescue this little school house?


Of course, we have to have some animal drama, which this week came in the form of a mynah that had gone for a swim in rainwater and couldn't get out:


Also, we discovered we have our very own blue-tongue lizard:


We call him Basil.

No comments:

Post a Comment