Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Still here

As you might have guessed, little has transpired since my last post.
A definite highlight was a lightning visit last week by Pat and Myffy, foodie mag friends, in the area for work purposes. I've developed a bad habit of not checking my email, so they had to hunt down me and Mick in the back bar of the Metro.
Intrepid journos to the last.

Apart from that, here's a potted pictorial history of the last fortnight.

The regional museum around the corner has installed a sculpture on what has until now been a pointless square of grass.

I'm a little perplexed though:


Is it a downtrodden businessdog worked, quite literally, to the bone? Or someone tired of toeing the corporate line?

Believe me, few people in Maitland suffer either.

Apropos of the previous post, here's our very own, potentially lethal mushroom growing beneath the passionfruit plant (I don't think there's any question as to its edibility):


As for dessert, our orange tree is – after two years and Mick's brutal pruning – finally bearing fruit and then some:


And I should say RIP, Wiedecks Fruit and Veg, effectively run out of town by Woolworths:


It was the one place we always stopped at on the way home from the doctor's; a bunch of carrots or apples for the horses.
Another small business disappears...

Of course, many and varied activities have occurred out of camera shot – I know; edgy, retro – but really, how much does one need to know?

No comments:

Post a Comment